Los Angeles is the mecca of fitness.
From the clanging iron of muscle beach to the hiking trails of the Angeles Crest, LA is a veritable outdoor gym made even better by the triple digit days of sunshine it enjoys.
So while we think the best workouts are those that take place within the hallowed halls of Virtuo, we also appreciate the ability to stretch our wings and soak up some Vitamin D with our Fitness.
While it may technically be winter, 60 degrees shouldn’t keep you from enjoying any of the locales on our list of the top 5 places for outdoor workouts in LA.
1. Original Muscle Beach (Santa Monica) – Unlike its younger brother over at Venice Beach which has become overrun with tik tokers and overtanned octogenarians in speedos, the original muscle beach retains much of the pedigree of its role as the birthplace of West Coast movement culture. Once the home to legendary bodybuilders like Steve Reeves, the original muscle beach is now frequented by calisthenics specialists and acro yoga enthusiasts. If you’re looking for a beach workout with a view of the iconic pier then this is the place for you.
Find directions and parking info here.
2. Runyon Canyon – If you say the word hike to someone in LA then Runyon is not far behind. This a place to be seen and to be seen working out. It’s where Hollywood meets fitness so make sure to wear your best Lulu outfit as you never know who you’ll meet. For those less concerned with being seen and more concerned with their sweat, adding a weighted vest to the steep climb makes this popular route a serious workout.
Find directions and parking info here.
3. Griffith Park – Not far from the packed trails at Runyon is the sprawling Griffith park which boasts miles and miles of trails with million-dollar views of both LA and the San Fernando Valley. Especially popular are hikes to the Hollywood sign, Wisdom Tree and the observatory. Make sure to pack plenty of water as the trails lack much shade. After a morning worked head southeast of the park to the Los Feliz neighborhood to find some of the best brunches in LA to refuel.
Find more about activities here.
4. Marina Del Rey – This list wouldn’t be complete without getting out on the water and Marina Del Rey is the perfect place for several aquatic fitness options. Along with being home to several boating clubs the Marina offers kayak and paddle board rental as well. Anytime you can work on your tan and you abs at the same time is a win. Make sure to avoid the morning marine layer and head to the Marina later in the day to get your workout in.
Find more about rentals here.
5. Angeles Forest – If you thought Griffith Park has some trails then thousand square miles of the Angeles forest will blow your mind. The soaring peaks that make up the iconic backdrop of LA are only and hour away from downtown and transport hikers into another world. The well kept trails offer breathtaking views from peaks as high as 10,000 fit. Because of the altitude winters can bring snow which provides the opportunity for a snowball fight in the morning and some surfing back at the beach.
Find some of the best trails here.
If you’re looking to up your fitness before getting out in public but don’t know where to start then we’re happy to help.
Book a free session with one of our coaches who will outline the exact program we’ve used to helped dozens of people go from their coach to running trails and catching waves.
This free session will help you get 100% dialed in on your goals and give you a personalized version of the exact process listed above that’s tailored to your goal.
We do this at no charge because we believe that education like this should be free.
If after we’ve taken you through the process and you’re interested in working with us then we’re happy to share what that looks like but there is no sale and no pressure.
👉Click here to book your session.
Thanks as always for your time!