Let’s face it, nobody wants to be that fit guy in the office. You know the one. He’s always taking off at lunch for a HIIT class and coming back a bit too sweaty for the rest of the day. He probably also stinks up the kitchen with fish for lunch and talks endlessly about his personal trainer and the trail runs he does on the weekend.
This being Los Angeles, every office has one of those guys.
But even if you don’t want to become a fitness caricature, it would be nice to find some ways to stay fit now that you’re back in the office full time and looking to ditch that quarantine body.
Office work, in general, can pose some challenges to staying fit due to long periods of sitting and the break room full of snacks.
Luckily we specialize in helping busy professionals successfully navigate these exact challenges and lose fat without becoming “that guy”
Here are our top 5 tips for increasing your fitness in the office:
- Bring lunch – Look, we know the deli down the street is amazing, and we get that sometimes work provides lunch, but there’s bringing your own healthy meals is the only sure fire way to avoid extra Calories and temptation. We suggest prepping meals for the week ahead on Sundays and have even put together and easy to use guide to walk you through the process. Get a copy here.
- Get up every hour – Long periods of sitting along with causing back pain can reduce your overall movement for the day which means less Calories burned. Aim to get up every hour for 5 minutes. Try taking a lap around the office or grabbing some water to find and excuse to get movement in.
- Park away from the building – This might be cliche, but along with skipping the elevator and taking the stairs, small actions like this add up to more movement throughout the day. If you really want to take this to the next level, consider a few days a week where you brave the LA Metro or even bike to work.
- Hit the gym before work – We know from helping hundreds of busy professionals in West Hollywood drop bodyfat that if workouts don’t happen first thing in the morning they often don’t happen at all. Start the day off right with a workout before reporting to the office. Just make you pick a gym with a shower of course. We might be biased, but we think visiting your trainer at Virtuo is the best way to start your day!
- Implement post-meal walks – There’s no worse feeling than sitting at your desk bogged down by a massive lunch you just shoveled down. Along with the above advice of making better lunch choices, a way to avoid the afternoon slump is to take a post meal walk. This easy to implement habit will help with digestion, help increase your step count for the day and give you the energy boost you need without having to down more caffeine.
It’s possible to lose weight and stay fit while being back at the office and without getting labeled as “that guy.” We’ve seen time and time again with clients how small changes over time can add up to big progress on the scale.
If you’re struggling to lose the weight that you put on while working from home and are worried about heading back to the office environment, then we want to help you.
We specialize in helping busy professionals with no time to spare, get in shape and look their best so they can feel confident to win in every area of their lives.
If that sounds like you, then you are our people.
Click this link to schedule a free consultation with one of our master trainers where we can show you how our proven system will help you feel the confidence in your body you’ve been looking for.